Our History

After receiving a generous gift of land from the late Jack Modesett, Mrs. Genevieve Modesett Clarke, and Guy Warren, St. John’s United Methodist Church was chartered in April, 1955. The first meeting of the new congregation was in the old Osage Drive-In Theater in September, 1954. The church met for over a year in Fraser Elementary School, moving to Fellowship Hall at 5300 S. Alameda in October, 1956. Two temporary buildings served as church school classes until the Ryan Building was built in 1958. In 1959, the men of the church supplied the labor to build the Scout Building. The first parsonage was at 753 Ashland, and then in 1963 the current parsonage at was built on Burkshire.. The sanctuary and bell tower were built in 1969 following the campus style plan. St. John’s Administrative Building was built in 1986. The Fellowship Hall was remodeled in September 1997, and the Scout Hut was remodeled in the summer of 1998. Our newest addition, the Community Life Building, was completed in June 2009; it includes a large multi-purpose room, state of the art nursery and commercial kitchen. Download our “50 Year Historical Review – 1955-2005” pdf.